Old July 5th 10, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

Default Add your own 'lessons learned'

This one did not break my airplane, but. . .

Landing in a cross wind at an uncontrolled airport -- it might have
been Urbana IL, not sure. Anyhow, there was a large barn not too far
from the centerline on the upwind side of the runway. I pretty much
had most of the rudder in, maybe 5 feet agl, when I got immediately
downwind of the barn. The barn might have even caused a touch of tail
wind -- the airplane ran out of lift right now, and dropped in. I
would have been surprised to see the wheel shafts poking thru the
upper wing surface, but hey, it's a Mooney and they are strong. (I did
not check to see if the dihedral increased.)

The lesson is, if there's any structure upwind and close to the
runway, either fly it on or land long -- otherwise you may be making a
much firmer landing than you intended.

Your turn.