Old October 18th 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Brian Whatcott

Default Lidle, Langewiesche, and turns

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 18:32:42 GMT, Don Tuite
wrote:

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 16:56:26 GMT, Brian Whatcott
wrote:

I'll try this time:

altitude = potential energy.
Losing altitude means giving up potential energy.
Where does that energy go?
Into providing a greater (effective) angle of attack than
you could at constant altitude and airspeed and thrust
OR
providing more airspeed than you could at constant altitude
and AoA and thrust.

Untelegraphic enough?

Yes. Energy conservation is always a good way to clarify things.

Over the years, I've played Menos' slave boy to Ron's Socrates several
times, but he usually requires that I show some effort before he moves
out of ultar-terse mode.

Don

Good attitude, Don!

:-)