Old October 17th 03, 10:37 PM
BUFDRVR

1956

I believe you must be refering to the Suez crisis. The Eisenhower
administration did disagree with France and the UK about how to settle the
issue, but did nothing in the way of interfering with French and British
actions. Ike, along with the Soviet Union, introduced a UN resolution calling
for a cease-fire, but when it was vetoed by France and the UK, the matter was
dropped.

Ike honestly believed that the Suez crisis was going to do one of two things;
1.) Destroy what he percived as a chance to re-unite Germany peacefully with
open revolts in both Hungary and Poland and a "receptive" new Premier
(Krushev). 2.) escalate into a global conflict due to the instability in
Eastern Europe and North Africa (Algeria was revolting against French rule and
several other Middle East nations in open turmoil).

Both of those outcomes would have had a direct and significant impact on US
National Security objectives. This is not even close to compareable with French
actions last winter-spring.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"