Old April 17th 04, 09:09 PM
Dave Holford

running with scissors wrote:

from NATAC website:
http://www.natca.org/currentissues/default.msp
Privatization

Privatization of air traffic control has become a worldwide trend
gaining popularity over the years. Proponents argue that competition
in the private sector allows companies to provide services more
efficiently while reducing costs. However, it is foolish to think that
a change in ownership will improve safety, increase capacity and
reduce costs, as evidenced by what is occurring in Canada and England.
Nevertheless, public perception, budget constraints and pressure for
improved government operations will keep privatization on the agenda.

For the past two years, President Bush released a proposed budget
supporting the concept of air traffic control privatization. Then, on
June 6, 2002, President Bush issued an Executive Order stripping air
traffic control of its "inherently government" designation.

For more information on this topic, please visit our Legislative
Center.
http://www.natca.org/legislationcent...vatization.msp

Interesting.

I was not favourably disposed to the sale of ATC (actually the entire
Air Navigation Service) to NavCanada and as a result elected to take
early retirement from Transport Canada when the sale ocurred.

Since then NavCanada has significantly increased controller salaries and
upgraded just about all the equipment used by ATC far in excess of the
plans of the Government agencies. Compare a NavCanada developed RSiT
display, and its relatives, to other in-service displays and it is hard
not to be impressed if you are a working controller.

I have to agree that the staff of NavCanada are not a happy bunch - the
story is that the company motto is "We're not happy until you're not
happy"; and I have seen no evidence to dispute that. But, although some
small units were shut down, the equipment is far superior and the
salaries are better than they were before.

Some of the management are still a bunch of idiots, but mostly they are
the same idiots who worked for the previous owners and there are far
fewer of them; a much higher proportion of managers were fired than
workers. However, the union - CATCA - still exerts considerable power
over company decisions, even has a seat on the board of directors.

Dave