Old May 10th 18, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

Default Spot or InReach ??

Kirk,

My Spot was a Gen 2. Perhaps that explains the poor performance I got, going by what 2KA said above that in his experience this model isn’t as reliable as the Spot 1 and Spot 3 generations.

I agree - it’s nice that we have options. I like the idea that my new InReach will always provide a contact capability during remote country XC that my cell phone and PLB might not, while clearly your Spot 1 meets your needs. As you said, YMMV...

-John, Q3

On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 12:39:38 PM UTC-4, kirk.stant wrote:
I'm curious which Spot you were using. I've been using my Spot Gen 1 since they first came out and it has worked fine for me so far; if there are any delays in displaying points it hasn't bothered my wife or affected any retrieves. So as they say, YMMV - I'm satisfied with the service I get.

And truth in advertising - my Spot renewal came out to be around $195, so not a lot cheaper.

It's nice that we have options.

Kirk