Old November 18th 03, 09:47 PM
Frank Ch. Eigler

"John Clonts" writes:

[...] 1) Does "having the runway environment in sight...make a
normal landing" in 91.175 mean its ok to descend below MDA, fly a
couple more miles to the airport and then fly the pattern (circle to
land), as long as the runway is still in sight. [...]

One thing that troubles me about this is your reference to
circling-to-land. Up here in Canada, the IFR rules say that a descent
from the MDA for circling can only be done at the "final descent for
landing" - basically for the final approach. (I believe there is a
similar restriction for straight-in landings too.)

Look at it another way. If there was no prohibition against
descending below the MDA in this circumstance, what would keep a pilot
from going to 100 AGL at the earliest hole through the clouds, and
skirting the ground all the way to the airport? You are obviously
leaving all the IAP obstruction clearance margins, but are not making
that explicit by requesting a contact approach. That doesn't sound
right.

- FChE