Old January 9th 18, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
danlj

Default Debunking the Shock Cooling Myth

Yes, Rick's research harmonizes with mine.

Ed Kollin, who ran the Exxon engine-testing lab before retiring early to market Camguard, says "There is no such thing as shock cooling, but shock heating is damaging. Going to full power on an aircraft engine that is not yet at operating temperature stresses metals that have not expanded to fit properly."

It's also true, as I've learned from experience, that CHTs near manufacturer CHT redlines are safe only briefly at best. Aluminum begins to soften above 400°F, and rings begin to lose temper. A single overtemp incident by a mechanic working on my aircraft's engine, not following book mixture-adjustment procedures, caused 4 broken rings, gradually discovered during later inspections.

Ed recommends CHTs optimally at or below 380°F, and has noted that severely LOP mixtures with low CHTs lead to lead fouling of exhaust-valve guides, leading to exhaust-valve sticking.

I see guys taking off with barely-warm engines frequently.