Old August 1st 03, 04:48 AM
Gilan

here is some info on it

Major Step Forward for Sport Pilot
July 31, 2003 - The new sport pilot and light-sport aircraft (SP/LSA)
categories passed a major milestone Thursday when FAA Administrator Marion
Blakey announced at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2003 that the FAA had completed
work on the final rule. The rulemaking package has now been forwarded to the
Department of Transportation (DOT) for review.

"This is a momentous step in the road to seeing sport pilot and light-sport
aircraft become a reality," said EAA President Tom Poberezny. "We expect the
rule will prove to be a major safety enhancement, establishing a safety
framework for an existing, unregulated segment of aviation.

"Likewise, we felt there was no better place than EAA AirVenture Oshkosh to
announce this major step. As the aviation world gathers for this centennial
of flight celebration, EAA is proud to have been deeply committed to this
effort, which will open up personal flight to more people as it enters its
second century."

After approval by the DOT, the SP/LSA rule will become official upon
publication in the Federal Register. The effective date of the rule will be
announced at that time.

FAA Administrator Blakey said, "This will serve the needs of aviation
enthusiasts for many years to come. It's expected to greatly reduce the
barriers for becoming a pilot, and for becoming an aircraft owner. I can
assure you I'm going to work very hard with DOT as the rule continues to
move forward."

She also credited EAA for its contribution: "You have a tremendous champion
in Tom Poberezny. He has worked long and hard on this. In fact, the first
time I heard "sport pilot" was from Tom Poberezny. Thank you, EAA, for
everything you've done."

FAA Sport Pilot Team Manager Sue Gardner celebrated the Administrator's
announcement, saying, "I'm exhilarated that the rule is through FAA. The
Administrator's approval represents a major step in the rulemaking process.
I know the community is disappointed that the rule isn't final already, but
as we've said before, the rulemaking process is complex...and in the end
that's good for users. We have a rule that FAA believes will be the best for
the entire aviation community.

Meanwhile, EAA continues to work closely with the FAA to ensure that all
training and aircraft inspection infrastructure are in place to allow
members to fully realize the benefits of this landmark rule once it becomes
official. EAA has worked closely with aviation industry representatives,
through the ASTM International standards-setting process, to establish
light-sport aircraft manufacturing standards.

The light-sport aircraft rules, which are being developed in conjunction
with the pilot certification regulations created under sport pilot, are
designed to ensure that all manufacturers uphold the consensus standards
established by an industry/community/government committee administered by
ASTM, an independent group renowned for establishing stringent standards for
many industries.

These important provisions ensure that each new light-sport airplane will be
constructed within accepted design and quality assurance standards.

Much of the ASTM standards effort is expected to be completed when FAA
issues the final SP/LSA rule. After the final light-sport aircraft rules are
published, the consensus standards can be adjusted, if necessary, to meet
the specifications in the rules.

--
Have a good day and stay out of the trees!
See ya on Sport Aircraft group

Private Pilot License in 10 days
http://www.perfectplanes.com/10day.html