View Single Post
Old August 10th 17, 12:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

Default Medical Cannula with EDS

On Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 10:16:44 PM UTC-4, wrote:
A previous RAS topic asked about adapting cheaper medical cannulas to the Mountain High EDS units. I posted a reply suggesting it was a "penny wise, pound foolish" solution. But, in the interest of investigation, I purchased (too many) cannulas from Amazon, following a link recommended in the original thread. Adaptation to the EDS was simple, only requiring a 2 inch piece of 6 mm poly tubing plugged into the receptacle at the end of the cannula tubing. In addition, the medical cannula had soft and flexible tubing that was very comfortable.

However, the first thing I discovered was, as soon as oxygen began flowing, there was an extremely noticeable "chemical" or plastic odor. I figured that it would eventually dissipate, and I ignored it. But after three flights, the odor is still there, and I realized that my performance on the last three flights was substandard- my thermalling was not as efficient, my decisions were haphazard and my general flying was degraded substantially. And I landed with a headache. I flew for over three hours today, reaching altitudes above 16,500 ft. MSL and my headache has not abated.

I am throwing the entire batch in the dumpster and going back to the Mountain High cannula.

YMMV

Mark - I am not sure what caused the chemical smell and the effect it has on getting a headache but keep in mind that headaches are one of the indicators of hypoxia. I know from own experience after skimping on O2 through my A8A regulator to 'stretch' the small tank I had in my weight-constraint Libelle. I never suffered from headaches but that one was nothing I want to repeat. It went away after sitting next to the glider with the mask on and finishing up the remaining O2.
The MH-cannulas deliver the correct amount right where and when you need it.. This summer, I flew in my two-seater for hours at 17,999ft in NM and CO and we never felt any effects of being hypoxic.
It is a great product when used as designed!

Uli
'AS'