Old December 18th 03, 05:58 PM
David Rind

Peter R. wrote:
BTW, the DC9 ahead of me took at least three quarters of the runway to lift
off, then turned left. When I departed, I dropped a notch of flaps to
lift off very quickly, climbed a few hundred at Vx as per the obstacle DP,
then turned the 90 degrees right as per the instruction to be well away
from the previous two aircrafts' wake turbulence.

Not answering your actual question about the clearance, but for
what it's worth, I would not have tried to climb out at Vx. You
have no hope of outclimbing a jet, and might want some additional
airspeed if you hit a wake. Instead, I would have requested an
early turnout and started my turn when I was 100' or 150' up. If
they couldn't give me the early turnout, I would have refused
the takeoff clearance. I'd be interested to know what others
would do.

--
David Rind