Old June 17th 04, 07:42 PM
Thomas Knauff

I carry a personal ELT with me because I consider my greatest risk while
flying competitions is a mid-air collision.

If I bail out, the glider will be some distance from my location -
especially when flying at higher altitudes.

The glider ELT will only trigger if it crashes in a manner that will set off
the automatic feature of the ELT.

Cell phones are not reliable in many parts of the country.

Better locating devices are on the way, including cell phone locating
technology, but for about $500 dollars, I have an ELT in my glider and with
me.

I have been on several searches for ELT signals, and in every case, the
aircraft location was found in a couple of hours. I am equally sure there
are situations where the signal may be very difficult to track down.

A locating device gives a possibility of being located. Having none at all
may result in several days of being found if ever.

Tom Knauff

"Todd Pattist" wrote in message
"Mal" wrote:

Purchased my own ELT
I fly with it through my parachute.

I'd like to know why anyone would buy one of these personal
units. I want mine to activate in the crash. If I'm still
conscious, I'll use the cell phone or radio. Or I can
trigger the mounted ELT manually, and even remove and carry
it. If I parachute, I'll be within the search area of even
the best ELT units. I'm really interested in the thought
process behind buying a low-power portable ELT that won't
trigger automatically. Am I missing something?
Todd Pattist - "WH" Ventus C
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)