Old December 12th 03, 10:11 PM
Peter Aitken

"A.T. Hagan" wrote in message
om...
(Polybus) wrote in message

. com...
Dear Friend,

A committee of scholars, veterans, clergy, activists, students, and
other interested individuals is now forming to challenge the
Smithsonian's plans to exhibit the Enola Gay solely as a "magnificent
technological achievement."

GOOD.

I'm glad to hear the Smithsonian has finally come to its senses and
stopped acting ashamed of an important part of our national history
that we have NO reason to be ashamed of.

Unlike a good number of people who seem to be educated beyond their
intelligence.

Not that this topic has anything at all to do with rec.food.cooking
which is where I read the thing.

.....Alan.

You and others are missing the point. If the B-29 is a "magnificent
technological achievement" fine, display one. But why does it have to be the
Enola Gay? That specific plane is unavoidable associated with dropping the
A-bomb on a civilian target with all the resulting horrors. You may support
the dropping of the bomb or you may be against it, but there's no denying
that displaying *this* B-29 rather than another one makes the exhibit seem
like a celebration of the bombing rather than the bomber. No matter how
necessary and justified you think the bombing was, it is nothing to
celebrate.

Peter G. Aitken