Old September 2nd 03, 05:30 PM
JIM105

Gerard/micbloo said

I just returned from a trip to California and spent 3 days in SF. Who flies
the LongRanger and 407 that does the tours of the Bay area? I see they have
pad in Sausolito off 101. Back in 84 when I was last there they had a pad on
Fishermans Wharf that was used for the tours but if I recall the
"powers-to-be"
tossed them out of there.
BTW, these guys fly in some very dramatic changing weather. One afternoon I
saw the 407 flying UNDER the Golden Gate Bridge into the Bay because the
ceiling had obscured the top of the bridge.
It could be sunny in SF and foggy/low clouds to the north or east. That has
keep a pilot on his toes for sure.

That would be S.F. Helicopter Tours. Thread a while back about the
ditching/auto/landing just outside the Gate. They have the Sausolito
concession now but have limited times for operation there.

The old company that operated out of both Saus. and Fisherman's Wharf was
Commodore helicopters. Talk about a money making machine! 3 minute rides for
$20.00 (or something like that...it's been many years ago!) Cash only for the
main portion of the company's existence. The trips under the bridge would be
charged as extra tip money right into the pilots coffee cup!

As far as weather around the Bay, yes it can be extremely sunny in the East Bay
and Low IFR around the Penninsula. You get good about micro-meteorology around
here.

Glad to hear you had a good trip out here. For all the foolishness of CA. it
truly is a beautiful place.

Jim