Old April 22nd 04, 11:59 PM
soarski

endure 25 years ago to get my license. Training could be sped up thru
the use of computer flight simulators. I tried one out at the
Convention that was very realistic (you really need a set of rudder
peddles). I think it would help out if used in conjunction with
instructor feedback.

Costs could be significantly reduced if we used winches more for
training. You will need between 50 and 100 launches to get a license.
This costs $1,500-3,000 for aerotow costs alone. Winching would drop
this to $250-500. If you reduce this cost then you will attract more
students, which will reduce the fixed costs (depreciation, insurance,
maintenance, advertising, etc.). Also, it is imperative that the
training location be reasonably close to major population centers.
Clubs need to have a $25 intro flight.

In retrospect, I don't know if I would put with, today, what I had to

Tom Seim
Richland, WA

The way I read the FARs,..... it takes 20 Flights in a glider,
aeronatical experience, if you do not have a power license. This could
be done in areas where there is good lift, rather teach SOARING by
flying one or two hrs at a time, than making all those launches the
way they do it in Germany in many places. Interesting that there is no
requirement for minmum time, like in power training (hrs)! The only
requirement is the two hrs of solo flight time mentioned, which in no
lift sites could take quite a few launches.
All this refers to US FARs

With a power rating, or 40 hrs of power time under your belt it could
be done with 13 flights. All this, Of course, has to be cleverly
arranged, to fit into the rest of the framework, dual and soloflights
required. AND those are minima. Some students learn fast, very few
never get it.

Dieter B 1408997CFI Life Member SSA

PS A well organized school with paid instructors, the corect modern
equipment. It could be done, quite fast, reasonable and enjoyable.