Old July 12th 09, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_7_]

Default I would not have thought this was possible

"Jim Logajan" wrote in

Wow - the whole issue is a mess of fact and fiction. Consider:

1) There appear to a bunch of obviously faked videos on Youtube of
people getting "sucked" into jet engines. This makes it tedious to sort
out the legit from the bogus.

2) Some videos, like this one showing a helmet (cranial) getting sucked
off a guys head, seem perfectly legit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OswpNAH9nrk

The case I saw might have been the Ayres incident you cited It has been a
while since I saw it, but it was well documented.

The person that was "sucked" was training a person, and stepped in to check
the work, and was out of position. It seems the A-6's intake is in a
position and has high velocity that makes a habit of sucking things into it.

I first saw the incident on TV and did not see the part about him surviving,
and had more than one nightmare about it. I was glad to later see that he
did not get chopped up.

I just remembered something else; he said his cranial came off and FODed the
engine, the engine was shut down quickly. If it had not, it might have
pulled him in the rest of the way.
--
Jim in NC