Old May 19th 17, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Default A Talking Airspeed Indicator

On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 9:20:10 PM UTC-4, Duster wrote:
Aha, finally found out who thought making glass-bottled ketchup worked just fine. Just kidding, but I think an audio-enabled ASI would be a good safety addition in reducing work-load during the most critical phases of flight (as long as one maintains visual instrument scans of course). Might have come in handy for at least some of those low altitude base/final turn accidents? Expensive at ~$300 and wonder if our flight computer software couldn't be modified to include audio warnings (using ASI, not gps input).

"Stall Warning System SP-3
Electronic STALL WARNING SYSTEM designed to meet the requirements of JAR 22..207 and FAR 23.207 as well. Awarded the O.S.T.I.V. prize, being installed on gliders since 1991 and certified in Poland. Easy to install. No aerodynamic burden. Only one additional pressure sensing hole in the nose of the glider, or in the lower surface of the wing of the aeroplane. Ideal for sailplanes, motogliders and ultralight aeroplanes. The device signals close to stall condition in the range between 5 and 10 percent over the stall speed in straight and circling flight over the whole loading and ballast range. You set the alarm threshold only once, individually for your glider. How does it work ? The difference between pressures Pt and Pc is the function of the two variables : speed and angle of attack. The device measures, calculates and detects the moment when the combination of these two parameters informs you about an approaching stall."

You set your own threshold. It squawks when you get there; works well in my SZD-55. http://www.olk.com.pl/indexen.php?bo...roducts&lpx=26 . Takes very little power and panel, and no upkeep.

Why re-invent the wheel?