Old March 2nd 04, 04:01 PM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Tarver Engineering wrote:
With aircraft equipped with GPS that shows your true speed, can you fly by
it when pitot tube is down?

The Captain's static port on the 757 had duct tape over it. The FO side was
working just fine, so there was not much excuse for crashing.

As I recall, the trim settings are the same for cruise and with full flaps. I
had a bug invade my pitot tube once in a Piper Lance and just muscled the
airplane from cruise until I had all the flaps set on approach. I never touched
the trim. I have no idea how close I was to target airspeed but the resulting
landing was quite normal. The airspeed indicator was dead the whole time.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com