Old December 7th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Travis Marlatte

Default Finding "Neutral" Position on Piper Elevator/Trim Tab

wrote in message
ps.com...
Just put tape on the surface next to the pointer, make several
landings, takoffs and mark each one on the tape. That will get you
closer then any other way. After all, you only use the setting during
the preflight to get you close on the trim setting. Once airborne you

I would think that you would at least want to know what the factory marking
indicated. Mine has a green band and the POH says that it MUST be in that
range for takeoff. The neutral position of the elevator is somewhere in that
range but it's not in the middle. If that's the case for the OP, wouldn't
you want to mark the practical limits? Weight and CG is going to alter the
"neutral" feeling position on takeoff and landing. I would use markable tape
and mark it under several different flight regimes.

I haven't flown a lot of different types but I have seen some that have just
the neutral position indicated. I don't remember if the SOP was to set it at
neutral no matter what.

I know that solo, I want it to be near the forward end of the range of my
green band. Fully loaded, I put it a little beyond the forward end of the
range. Keeping it in the range and trimming a lot just after rotation just
seems stupid to me. A little nose heavy is a good thing in my plane. When
the engine quits, it pitches up significantly.

Travis
Lake N3094P
PWK