Old April 15th 04, 04:07 AM
Jim Phoenix

I use a PDA (iPaq) and an SN-10 and I like the SN-10 because is has big
knobs and I hate poking at the PDA screen in flight with the stylus. If you
go with a PDA, set it up so you only need look at it during cruise, minimize
the finger-poking by programming the buttons on the unit. I NEVER have time
to mess with any of my instruments or even my radio knobs while thermaling -
for some reason I'm always been concentrating solely on climbing in the
core - I normally glance occasionally at whatever screen is up, but poke or
turn knobs? Not very successful with that unless I'm straight and level (or
close to it).

The lady I bought my Nimbus 3 from flew did her 1000km using a sectional
encased in two pieces of plexiglass with a string over the top tensioned by
a rubber band. It apparently worked very well for her - I've had no luck
tapping on it with my finger or even my iPaq stylus - damn thing doesn't
respond at all ;-)

Of course she flys farther in her 1-26 than I do in her old Nimbus...

Jim

"BJen" wrote in message
I've got a late '80's model flight computer with an
integrated non-GPS final glide calculator and an IGC GPS
logger. I'm thinking about upgrade options to minimize the
mental workload for these items that I currently have
trouble with:

What's the current wind speed and direction?

What altitude do I need to final glide upwind to airport X
and turn back downwind to home at airport Y?

What airport is easiest to get to when I'm low given
different airport field elevations and current wind
direction.

When should I turn to get home 3 hours after I started this
task?

I'm not really sure what options I have. More generally,
I'm wondering what the PDA's can do. I presume they have no
airspeed/pitot input, no TE input and only GPS altitude.
Is that correct? Can they perform vario/TE/STF/final glide
functions?

I realize they can do GPS moving map, flight track
recording. I suspect they can figure wind from a circling
algorithm, but without TE or airspeed can they replace my
old flight computer? If not, can they supplement it (with
my GPS/pressure logger) so I can avoid the expense of a new
flight computer?

Anyone want to give me some comments here? Thanks.