Old September 19th 04, 05:33 PM
Jim Carter

wrote in message
Jim Carter wrote:
If the friend is a US pilot, there are the restrictions of 14 CFR 61.113
about reimbursement.

The restrictions prohibit the pilot (friend) from making a profit, they do
not restrict the owner from recovering a pro-rata percentage of the
operating cost of the aircraft. I believe the total costs would be
considered operating costs because if the owner didn't invest in the
aircraft to start with how could it be operated at all?

If you want to concider it a rental, then all the requirements like 100hr
inspections apply.

Right. That's part of my point when I mentioned renting costing more than
just direct costs, however I suppose a 100 hour would be an additional
direct cost with which the private owner wouldn't have to deal.

In any case, if I were to share an auto trip with someone, I wouldn't
expect them to pay a share of my annual insurance or prorated cost of
new tires.

--
Jim Pennino

Why not Jim? How is it fair that the owner pay for items from which the
passenger benefits? I have to admit that I don't charge passengers to ride
with me in the car as long as I have to go anyway, but that's my choice. The
fair thing is to split all costs evenly and that should be assumed by any
passenger in any vehicle. If the owner/operator wants to be more gratious
then that's their choice, not the passengers.

Mr. Norris was the passenger on this trip, and it was he who had written
that he wouldn't pay anything except direct costs. I think that is the
morally wrong position for him to take.