Old June 9th 08, 05:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Sliker

Default Mixing alcohol with gasoline

On Tue, 27 May 2008 20:34:40 -0700, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields"
wrote:

We saw an experiment where an antiqu indicated horsepower device that was
used on locomotives was used and an antique hit and miss piston engine. The
indicated power gage plotted piston position vs pressure and the area under
the pv curve was power. With as little as 10% ethanol added the loss of
power was apparent. We also tried acetone, mek and some other octane
boosters. They all had the effect of reducing power.

Stu Fields

I would think the only time to use alcohol would be if avgas was no
longer available. At least then the higher compression engines that
can't run on premium auto fuel could still operate. But after all the
engine changes were made that are needed. And put up with the shorter
range with the same fuel tank capacity.

I know one thing you could have tried to get more power, instead of
reducing it. Nitro methane! but I'd hate to think what it would do to
the TBO of the engine. Probably about the same as a dragsters. One
race.