Old January 29th 09, 04:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_2_]

Default Short Wings Gliders

Dan Silent wrote:
At 02:01 29 January 2009, DRN wrote:
On Jan 27, 10:09=A0pm, RRK wrote:
There is a proposal of creating 13.5 class on IGC
meeting in Lausanne.

http://www.fai.org/gliding/system/fi...8_3_1_Proposal...

Haven't we got a big enough mess with too many FAI classes ?

yes, you are right!!!
think about the PIK without spoilers, so designed to win,
and it did..... but what a mistake to have such a solid
and durable sailplane with flaps and no spoilers because of a new class or
a new regulation!

All with little performance difference (other than the failed
world-class experiment).

yes, you are right!!!
the world-class is a failure, only 200 pewe built, nobody likes it and she
scares people away!!!

Tooling and engineering for a new glider costs millions.
This must be paid for, by us, over a small production run
for each glider.
More classes even more fragmentation smaller production
runs higher costs.

yes, you are right!!!
BUT YOU MISS THE POINT!
the Short Wings Gliders are already here............
20 different models, maybe more,
old, new, light, heavy, sleek, ugly, fabric, carbon, etc.
no need to built a new one,
world-class simply will change name and all pewe will
fly with all other Short Wings.
It is as simple as this.
TINS4WS, so Short Wings Gliders will flock together and have fun. Of
course they will keep complaining about handicaps, rules and other sh*t,
but nobody will ever ask you to built another glider.
(Antares to date has more bankruptcies then models.)
But maybe the Chinese will come up with something.
.........another white 25 cm today...............

I would be surprised if they ever get enough gliders together to have a
contest. If you are into racing, you will buy something with at least
15 meters of span.