Old March 14th 13, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Flying Condor at Mifflin

On Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:29:38 AM UTC-5, wrote:
"I got my last thermal of the February 14th race below treetop level. If you intend to fly Mifflin in real life, be careful about Condor rewarding risky behavior "

Ridges have a whole different thermal dynamic than flatland. It is not uncommon for thermals to kick off a ridge, even down low and be very solid. It's different thermalling out from crest or even slightly below a ridge that is 400ft above a valley and thermalling out from 400ft over flatland...

It isn't quite like some of the 10 knot thermals you hit in ground effect in some sceneries in the sim.

Regards,

Daniel Sazhin

It's also common at Mifflin for there to be zero lift once you're 20 feet below hilltop. Pull out the landing gear, you're going to need it. Ask me how I know...

John Cochrane