Old April 30th 05, 07:59 AM
Toņo

Antionio,
Sorry to throw you off, but the "Mountain Flying" book was written
35-years ago. I've learned something in that time and have observed
rotors along the Front Range between 25,000- and 30,000-feet MSL.
Usually the destructive turbulence associated with the rotor does not
extend more than a 1,000 feet or so above the ridge line.
Sparky

Thanks for the update, Sparky!

What you say does not actually throw me off at all. I realize that
there can be turbulence of all sorts at high altitudes in any
direction-- including circular ( as beneath a wave or as a result of the
jet stream) . But, in your expert opinion, does the bona-fide rotor
cloud with the characteristic "sawblade" appearance ever show it's ugly
face at high altitude?

Thanks,

Antonio