Old October 22nd 08, 02:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave Kearton

Default P-3 DOWN

"Wayne Paul" wrote in message
news

The press is known for misidentifying aircraft types. The P-3 many have
been an EP-3.

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/

The RAAF have also based a couple of P-3s there for the last year or so,
from 10 Sqn I believe. There are AP-3Cs, which are your common or
garden variety sub-chaser with a few more antennae with fox tails.

AIUI, they perform electronic surveillance and signal gathering functions.
This sort of thing isn't new, I read in a squadron history (no cite unforch)
during the Vietnam war, 10 Sqn Neptunes out of Butterworth in Malaysia would
patrol northwards over Thailand to detect SAM launches over NVN.

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton