Old July 25th 03, 08:53 AM
iPilot

Sorry, It was in 2001, but I still don't remember the specific article and the writer.

"iPilot" wrote in message ...
Someone (I do not remember the name) wrote in last years Soaring magazine about quite contrary
approach (not related to specific glider). The idea was that one has to put flaps down WHILE

slowing
down, not after. And the reasoning was that flap position is not that much depending on the speed

of
the glider, but on angle of attack. So if one attacks thermals aggressively making serious

pull-ups,
the increased AOA means one has to advance in flap settings beforehand the lowering speeds. Same
applies to leaving the thermal cause then the AOA decreases. It was told to be making huge
differences.

Regards,
Kaido, who doesn't fly flapped gliders currently.

2. Only put the flaps down when you have slowed after
your pull up into the next thermal.

This means you are accelerating and decelerating with
minimum drag and do not have to worry about the speed
settings as you speed up and slow down.