Old September 22nd 11, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Serkowski

Default Pilot Events Mandated by IGC?

On 9/21/11 3:19 PM, ContestID67 wrote:
When and why was it required?

It never was, and nobody could think of a good reason for them, so that
is likely why they propose to get rod of them.

I've hooked up my PEV to a button on the panel, and will occasionally
use it to mark an "interesting" point in my flight. Makes it really
easy to find it during analysis. If I fly over an interesting landmark,
I can mark it then later look it up on Google Earth, for example. Also
used it to confirm my ENL sensor is working at various throttle
settings, or as I change ambient cockpit noise.

Remember, the GNSS spec came out back in the "dark ages" before there
were (many) FR's, so they didn't know what features would be needed. A
pilot event could be used in some ways during a contest, I suppose...

-Tom