Old March 27th 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gig 601XL Builder

Default Money grubbing FBO's

Robert M. Gary wrote:
On Mar 27, 6:52 am, "Cary" wrote:
I think it is very sad that we are losing more and more FBO's around
the country. Just yesterday I received notice from an FBO (Wings)
that has been in operation in Saint Paul for 39 years is now closing
because of lack of funds. If the only way these FBOs can stay in
business is to charge higher fees for fuel and add a ramp fee for
parking, then they need to do that and we have to support them as
best as we can. Otherwise, we will continue to lose FBOs, training
facilities, GA pilots, and ultimately the airport. I don't like
paying these fees either, but I know that most GA FBOs are not
making a ton of money but are barely hanging on.

Again, I repeat my challenge. If anyone thinks the FBOs are charging
way to much, start your own fuel business, charge 10 cents/gal less
and become rich. If it doesn't work, then maybe the FBO isn't
overcharging as much as you think.

-Robert

You do realize that at MANY airports the FBO has an agreement with the
airport owner that they are the only ones that can sell fuel? Mine, KELD, is
but one example. I can bring my own fuel but I can't sell it to someone
else. The stipulation is in my grond lease for my hanger.