Old May 4th 04, 09:09 PM
Eric Greenwell

Jon Meyer wrote:
This one I don't know about. In the U.S. it's pretty
common
wisdom that it's worthwhile practicing the egress with
chute, instead of always unbuckling the chute and leaving
it
in the aircraft. I don't know if unbuckling under
emergency
stress is a real concern. I think practicing egress
while
wearing the chute *is* a good idea, as it's harder
than you
think.

Our ex-CFI nearly baled out of an open cirrus having
removed his straps AND parachute. Fortunately (or unfortunately
depending on whether you liked him or not) he realised
when he was only half way out and put it back on before
jumping.
The local newspaper report said:
'Club members watched in horror as his parachute opened'

Sounds like an interesting story the did he routinely remove the
parachute before getting out of the glider after a normal flight, and
what was the situation that allowed him so much time to do things right,
and would the clubs members have been equally horrified if the parachute
didn't open?

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA