Old December 4th 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default MS Flight Sim As a Training Tool

Gig 601XL Builder writes:

This might be true if MSFS only tried to simulate one or two aircraft in a
limited amount of flight evelopes but it doesn't.

It's true for whole categories of aircraft.

It cuts corners so it can simulate everything from an ultalight to a 747.

It cuts corners on the aircraft models, not on the simulation. If you
use add-on aircraft (as all serious simmers do), you get vastly more
accurate models ... practically a different simulator.

The problem is MS
for some reason I can't quite figure out wnats to use all the CPU cycles to
run the graphics and not just the physics of the enviroment but much of the
rendering as well.

Graphics is the major workload for any flight simulator. Computers
got fast enough to handle the dynamics decades ago.

Instead of designing the software to offload the graphics
to a dedicated graphics card.

Most of the graphics cannot be offloaded.

Well this doesn't apply to me. I've owned every version of MSFS, except for
X, since the one I bought the day I bought an Apple IIe.

Wow.

I did download the X demo and I was really unimpressed. Since there were so
few planes on the Demo I tried out the ultralight which I had never done on
any of the other versions for some reason. I set the realizam to full and
the weather as bad as possible and was still able to fly the little guy. It
should have ripped the thing apart or at very least blown me over.

How do you know? Were you killed in an ultralight accident in bad
weather previously?