Old October 22nd 17, 02:12 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Miloch

Default Air Force may recall up to 1,000 retired military pilots to address 'acute shortage'

In article , Byker says...

"Miloch" wrote in message news

http://abcnews.go.com/US/air-force-r...ry?id=50629597

The United States Air Force could recall as many as 1,000 retired military
pilots to active-duty service to address an acute shortage in its ranks.

Sounds like "stop-loss" to me. If these pilots are of retirement age, how
well are they expected to perform in the cockpit of, say, an F-35?

The F-35 is an embarrassment...and at $100M each!...so far, not considered as
good as the F-16...I guess what the Air Force needs is more F-16 pilots.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...trike-fighter/

...."But that’s not how the plane has turned out. In January 2015, mock combat
testing pitted the F-35 against an F-16, one of the fighters it is slated to
replace. The F-35A was flown “clean” with empty weapon bays and without any
drag-inducing and heavy externally mounted weapons or fuel tanks. The F-16D, a
heavier and somewhat less capable training version of the mainstay F-16C, was
further encumbered with two 370-gallon external wing-mounted fuel tanks.

"In spite of its significant advantages, the F-35A’s test pilot noted that the
F-35A was less maneuverable and markedly inferior to the F-16D in a visual-range
dogfight.

*