Old October 4th 18, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fraser Wilson[_2_]

Default vinyl wrap

At 06:33 04 October 2018, Fraser Wilson wrote:
I considered doing this but one of the problems I came across is
the 3M 1080 film, probably the best on the market, is only
available in a 1.5 m (correction from previous) width, which is

not wide enough to do a
seamless job on my wing (single seat 15m). I understand it
shrinks with age so any seams will tend to open. So I went for
paint.

I’ve since found another gloss white film manufacturer offering a
2.5m width, but it’s service durability is unproven, unlike 1080.

I would be interested in any pictures of the twin Astir, which film
they used, how they’ve done seams and how the film is

standing
up to the test of time.

Fraser

t 03:50 04 October 2018, AS wrote:
On Wednesday, October 3, 2018 at 9:28:19 PM UTC-4, Randy

Teel wrote:
On Wednesday, October 3, 2018 at 4:59:11 PM UTC-7,

wrote=
:
Greetings all, I was wondering if anyone here has any

information or
ex=
perience with vinyl wraps for wings, control surfaces, fuselage

on
sailplan=
es, It seems that this product would be pretty easy to use on

ailerons,
ele=
vators and rudders and would be insignificant weight gains.

Iknow that it
i=
s used in aviation. I think that the biggest issue may be static
electricit=
y and any drag resulting from dust adhered to surface of the

wing due to
st=
atic electricity
=20
I have seen an entire Twin Astir wrap and it looks beautiful. I

have
also=
the rudder on an ASW27 wrapped. Send me an email and I

will
forward the
i=
nformation/contact to you.
=20
Randy

Here is a nice video showing how it is done on a glider for

decorative
purp=
oses. Pretty neat!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DjVSxEuOZMFE