Old October 9th 18, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

Default ADSB panel display

On Monday, October 8, 2018 at 9:39:12 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, October 8, 2018 at 5:38:39 PM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Monday, October 8, 2018 at 5:14:16 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, October 8, 2018 at 12:55:09 PM UTC-7, Ben Hirashima wrote:
Have you seen an iPhone X display in sunlight? I find it perfectly readable. Technology is constantly improving...

thank you Ben, I did look at an iphone X at max brightness, but didn't consider it any better than my iphone 8+. I do manage to use Foreflight on my iphone 8+, but it is a struggle, not what I call 'easily readable' in my cockpit, as my LX moving map is. I'm in Nevada, where the sun is very bright, even with a blue canopy. I want a panel mounted, dedicated, bright display for adsb targets.

PowerFLARM connected to a AirAvionic ATD is likely the best you will get there.

No UAT In/TIS-B/ADS-R support, but them are the tradeoffs.

Its enormously more expensive to buy the AirAvionic adsb/flarm receiver that works with their ATD57, so I won't be doing that. I suspect AirAvionic is not providing an adsb protocol is some business reason they have to support Flarm. In my opinion, in the US, Flarm is a harmful distraction of money better spent on adsb.

So what happens when 20 ADS-B equipped gliders share a thermal?

If the answer is "I don't care, because I don't fly in gaggles" then it would be helpful to know this so the rest of the community can give your opinion all the weight it deserves.

T8