Old November 18th 18, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default LiFePO4 chargers

Richard Pfiffner wrote on 11/17/2018 10:22 AM:
On Friday, November 16, 2018 at 7:20:53 PM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/comm...-fires.102016/

I did not see any indication the burning battery had a BMS. Some builders put in
the "starter" LiFe batteries that do not have a BMS, so perhaps that is the
reason the battery burned. I think LiFe batteries from the usual suppliers
(Bienno, K2, Stark - for example) with a BMS, used for instrument batteries,
and charged with the recommended charger are as safe as a comparable capacity
SLA.

Several years ago I had a bad batch of batteries from one of the suppliers you
mentioned in your post. 4 to 5 aH capacity in a 10 Ah battery. I quit
selling them. I now sell LiFePO4 batteries that I personally test before
shipping with a West Mountain Radio computer tester. Document is supplied with
the battery.

http://www.craggyaero.com/lifepo4_battery.htm

I test every battery before installing it, also using a West Mountain tester. Over
the years, I've had three SLA batteries that had half their rated capacity, and
returned them. I've only used one LiFe battery, and it had exactly the rated
capacity. Couldn't believe it - tested it again, and got the same answer.