Old February 12th 08, 12:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kyle Boatright

Default Rent vs. Own

These costs vary tremendously by location. At an underused, rural field, hangar rental may be $50/mo. At an overcrowded urban field, the same hangar may be $600/mo. Same thing for maintenance costs. You would do well to go to your local field and ask these questions to pilots with aircraft similar to what you propose to purchase.
"Frank" wrote in message . ..
Since this is an aircraft owners newsgroup, that means it's the perfect place to ask about the costs associated with owning an airplane vs. renting.

Since I haven't started my private pilot lessons, I'm not familiar with all of the expenses associated with owning an aircraft. I have listed below a brief list of likely expenses (I think) and I asking for feedback on it.

I do understand that costs for each item can vary greatly from place to place and according to many factors, but I think this is a good start. I am imagining the purchase of a Cessna 172 with a couple of private pilot buddies and I came up with this:

1) Storage (what is the price difference between hangar and tie down?)
2) Insurance for plane
3) Normal service for plane (how often does the plane have to be serviced...and approximately how much?)
4) Repairs (I understand this is unpredictable...is their an annual "average" cost for problems?)

Can you give me a basic idea?