Old July 31st 06, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Judah

Default Mounting a turn coordinator on the tail?

Tim Auckland wrote in news:eglnc2tk7l96o5qq3mqajbujfip02iaaol@
4ax.com:

(Things are so slow in this group at the moment, I thought I'd post
this to get your input on something I've been mulling over...)

If you put a plane into a skidding left turn (wings level) with left
rudder, the ball on the panel goes to the right.

However, I've been trying to work out what would happen to the ball if
it was mounted on the tail.
The rudder is pushing the tail of the plane to the right, so I think
the ball would go to the left.
Can anyone confirm this?

Tim.

More importantly, if you put the TC in the tail, how much rudder pressure
would the pilot have to apply in order to turn the tail quickly enough around
to see it?

I believe cats and dogs have the ability to achieve the necessary speeds,
almost even to the point that some may catch their tails in their mouths as
they look to focus on their balls. But I don't think airplanes are quite
limber enough for this capability.