Old January 16th 08, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Las Vegas, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley trip report

Ron Lee wrote:

I don't recall everything he said but it included "Stay out of Class
B, I won't provide terrain info, navigation..." and whatever else he
said. My impression of his words and tone was "Why am I even staying
on this frequency?"

My point was not that I will not use flight following rather I may no
longer talk to approach controllers near Class B. They seem to
dislike GA aircraft.

I had contacted LA center a reasonable distance from Las Vegas to
facilitate ATC separartion of my flight with airliners going into
KLAS. Going west just south of KLAS was not an issue with approach.
It was coming back from Death Valley that the "service" left me with a
sour view of them.

On the up side, the controller at Henderson was wonderful.

The same sort of thing happens near home. Some of the controllers at
COS are surly towards GA aircraft wheras the folks at PUB are friendly
and a joy to work with.

Hmmm.

On my last trip into Henderson I had planned out a path on the GPS
with stepped decents and curves to keep me out of class B while
avoiding the hills all the way in.

At about Jean, I called Las Vegas approach for flight following into
Henderson.

After getting a code and identified, Las Vegas approach gave me the
Henderson ATIS and cleared through class B without asking, so I
abandoned the curvy path, pointed the airplane at Henderson and
set up a constant decent.

Either you got the duty asshole of the day or somehow you ticked
the controller off.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.