Old January 17th 08, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

Default Las Vegas, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley trip report

I don't recall everything he said but it included "Stay out of Class
B, I won't provide terrain info, navigation..." and whatever else he
said. My impression of his words and tone was "Why am I even staying
on this frequency?"

My point was not that I will not use flight following rather I may no
longer talk to approach controllers near Class B. They seem to
dislike GA aircraft.

LAS is in a bowl, high terrain all around.. I called approach one time for a
Class B transition from south to north landing at VGT. I was squawked and
ID'd, then given headings and altitudes to fly that effectively kept me
clear of Class B. I could have done the same on my own.

On another occasion, from Boulder City Airport to VGT, again a call, and a
shuffle from freq to freq with the "remain clear of Class B" calls until
finally I am over Lake Las Vegas (NE) and thinking I'll just go around
Nellis (Frenchman and Sunrise Mountain) to the NE of the airbase and come in
VFR that way. Finally the last controller got me through "nellis class B"
airspace to VGT. Now this is not "nellis class B", but the portion of Class
B controlled my the military approach controllers, and it was on a weekend.
Not much flying.

Last trip.. departing VGT to the SE, that means a Class B transition. VGT
VFR Tower gets me a squawk, freq and recommended heading (SW) to remain
clear of class B. I get up and going, and all I get from Approach is
"continue west, remain clear". Finally I get the "unable class B, go around,
freq change approved, See ya."

Going around adds 30 min or more to the flight in the Seneca II at $$$ per
hour.

Standard routing south/north is from over or near HND, to the approach end
of Rwy 25, or fly heading 010 if northbound until cleared direct VGT,
maintain 4500MSL. North to south, from the NE, direct approach end Rwy 19,
Approach end Rwy 25, flyin heading (SE) maintain 5500MSL.

And I LIVE HERE !!!
BT