Old May 10th 18, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Soaring not compatible with modern society?

I think the critical word in the subject line starting this thread is "Modern"

I can say for sure that a majority of youth sports and activities are having difficulty in these "Modern" times.

The competition for kids attention is beyond anything that has ever happened in history - especially in this Modern internet/global new world.

Adults had a similar issues when kids stopped helping on the farm to play games - adults were not happy.... then they started watching TV... then kids became focused on protesting and drugs... then ...

I do not think the debate is about adolescence attention span or not taking risks - good marketing may help but I think the focus has to be how to best hold the kids we have already attracted. I think it is our attrition rate that needs some ideas/energy/thought.

As everyone in business knows - getting a new customer is extremely hard, loosing a customer is really easy - holding a existing customer is what makes for success.

The new wave of young pilots I saw last year at Elmira & still going this year..... now that's a seed that need to get watered and cared for - and that is not easy or simple.

WH