Old September 30th 04, 01:46 AM
Dave S

How about programming intersections where 1)there is a clear change of
direction and 2) where there is an intersection at a changeover point.
That will keep it to a minimum, but keep you on the centerline of the
airway.

Dave

John Hamilton wrote:

If I am navigating along a Victor Airway, and want to program it into
my GPS, how can I tell if there is an angle (i.e. change in direction)
at an intersection? I know that some intersections are there just
because of changes in MOA, MOCA, etc, but definitely some are there
because the airways "bends". For example, I was flying last night from
New haven to Pittsburgh (yes, in the middle of the rain from Joanne)
along V162. Just east of Harrisburg is BOBSS, where V162 joins V12,
and turns due west.

When I was in training for my instrument rating, my CFII would tell me
to program in every intersection along the route, but that could be
dozens. I can't tell from the legend on the IFR chart the answer to
this.