Old September 30th 04, 01:51 AM
Roy Smith

(John Hamilton) wrote:
If I am navigating along a Victor Airway, and want to program it into
my GPS, how can I tell if there is an angle (i.e. change in direction)
at an intersection?

If you're looking at a printed chart, it should be obvious. Sometimes
the "dogleg" is a very shallow angle, and it might not be so obvious
visually, but usually it is.

When I was in training for my instrument rating, my CFII would tell me
to program in every intersection along the route, but that could be
dozens.

Programming in the intermediate intersections is probably a good idea,
since it makes it easier to keep track of where you are. Five miles
from HOZAT intersection is a little more meaningful than 87 miles from
some VOR.

BTW, it's questions like this that make me really love the CNX-80 I fly
with. You don't have to put in the intermediate fixes. You just tell
it what airway you're on, and it digs all the fixes out of the database
for you.