Old July 2nd 03, 03:09 AM
Patric Barry

Pipeline patrol aircraft and transmission wire patrol aircraft fly a few
hundred feet above the ground and undergo some tough and constant
turbulence. No attention was paid to this until a crash occurred, and metal
fatigue from the turbulence was the problem. I wouldn't touch a plane with
that history - of course, often you don't know the history and might buy the
plane without even knowing.

Flight school aircraft get a lot of wear, and you see it in the landing gear
and the retractable systems - flap guides and so on.

It's your choice - seems the posters here don't support your choice.

"Dave S" wrote in message
Anyone have experiences, good or bad, with high time airframes (10,000
hrs). What Im specifically inquiring about are life limitations or
"frequent" issues on these airframes. Im referring to non-orphaned,
180-200 hp single piston engine frames. Most commonly fitting this bill
would be former flight school aircraft and pipeline patrol.

Im admiring a high time patrol a/c from afar, and while the engine is
fresh, the frame has passed the 10k mark. I had a friend who had a great
deal purchasing such an aircraft a few years ago, but Im sure he didnt
realize much when he sold it. Resale issues aside, what have ye to say?

Dave
PP ASEL