Old March 17th 04, 01:39 AM
Stu Gotts

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 13:15:54 GMT, "Jim Carter"
wrote:

Stu,

I'll immediately grant that I'm not an expert here, but your statements
got me to thinking. Since today's radios, starters, alternators, and myriad
other items are less heavy than they were 40 or 50 years ago, many aircraft
might actually be lighter than when they rolled out the factory door. Many
mods done over the years actually improved factory performance by cleaning
up air leaks with gap seals and such. Engine age is certainly a factor that
will decrease performance over the years, but that can often be remedied
with tops and majors as time goes on. The airframe is another issue that
probably takes constant attention to keep the ailerons, flaps, door seal,
and gear doors from hanging out in the windstream, but I've known a few
pilot/mechanics who really paid attention to these details.

My question, after taking all of this into account, is couldn't some
aircraft be faster today than they actually were coming off the factory
floor 40 or 50 years ago? I grant you there won't be many, but I suspect
many owners really do put this much effort into maintaining their bird. Of
course those are the ones that are never for sale...

That's a good bunch of points, but where weight is saved, usually it's
lost somewhere else. Plus let's not forget about drag from antennas
that are usually installed. I've never heard of an older plane being
faster than when it came from the factory unless a monster engine was
placed into it or someone took the time to tweak the rigging. For
instance a Debonair with an IO550 is surely a screamer.