Old April 22nd 04, 02:33 PM
Ed Rasimus

On 21 Apr 2004 23:08:03 GMT, (BUFDRVR) wrote:

Sounds like a great show, I can't wait. Although I am concerned that Michel
left over a disagreement. Out of him and Eschmann, I find Michel's book much
better documented and supported. Eschmann's book contains both the myth about
the BUFF-MiG shoot downs and the "hybrid" FAN SONG-LOW BLOW radar. Michel gets
the word right from the horses mouth on both those issues.

I agree. I read Eschmann many years ago and wasn't particularly
impressed with the conclusions he drew. He did his numbers, call-signs
and names well, but the recounting of the story didn't set well.
Seemed to be some hear-say and poor conclusions drawn.

Marshall Michel, OTOH, did a better job on "Eleven Days". He also did
a good job on "Clashes" although I still haven't forgiven him for
taking the easy way out and using only call-signs and not names.
That's unforgiveable for a historian.

I'm surprised to hear that Sullivan and Marsh had a disagreement. I
interviewed with Sullivan a couple of years ago through the auspices
of Michel who brought the whole film crew to the River Rat reunion in
Atlanta. It was just before "Eleven Days" was released and I thought
the whole project was in support of the book, not a separate effort.

Will be eager to see the video when it finally airs, as they have
definitely talked to a lot of the right people from both the big and
little airplane forces.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"