Old August 14th 08, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default 3rd class medical now expires in 60 months ?

On Aug 10, 2:35*pm, "BT" wrote:
yes... everyone needs a certificate of some sort.. and the back of the
student pilot certificate for Balloons, Gliders and now Light Sport have the
spaces for the instructors solo endorsements and 90 day reviews. That
certificate needs to be signed every 90 days by your CFI.

Make an appointment with the Flight Standards District Office in your area,
or a local DPE.
Bring the required ID and proof of health, for the Sport Pilot, that means a
valid drivers license.
Your CFI should know where to go... and don't let him send you to an AME
(Medical Dr) for it.

No proof of health is required. Just bring an 8710 application for a
student pilot certificate. There is no basis for its issuance so there
is no way for the FSDO or DE to deny it. When my students run into
this I'll usually just grab a DE who is waiting to do a checkride,
hand him the 8710 and he hands me the new temporary student pilot's
certificate. The transaction takes about 30 seconds. Why the FAA
requires this is beyond me.

-Robert, CFII