Old January 11th 04, 09:10 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message

snip

As I recall the X-29 project, one of the objectives was evaluation of
the instability as a means of gaining agility for future highly
maneuverable aircraft. The "urban legend" was that the aircraft
required minimum of triple redundant FBW augmentation as loss of the
augmentation would result in immediate excursions from stable flight
and structural failure within seconds. The ultimate in "JC maneuvers".

Always thought it made for an extremely ugly airplane.

Wasn't the basic structure from an F-16A?

Ed, I believe the basic structure was from an F-5.

Brooks

Ed Rasimus