Old November 11th 10, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Default PowerFlarm antenna install

On Nov 11, 7:55*am, John Cochrane
wrote:
On Nov 11, 9:49*am, Darryl Ramm wrote:

On Nov 11, 6:56*am, "Sam Zimmerman" wrote:

Can someone describe the antenna installation issues with the PowerFlarm
brick? Does the brick contain the transponder and ADS-b antennas or are they
separate? If they are in the brick, does this dictate a need for a special
location for mounting the black box? If they are separate, do they need to
go outside the glider? SZ

Flarm antenna and 1090 MHZ (ADS-B and PCAS) antenna would normally be
mounted up above your glareshield inside the cockpit. You do not want
to mount them hidden behind the panel. I expect the brick to come with
antennas with short coaxial leads designed to allow this - similar to
those used on current headless Flarm units like the LX Red Box and
Swift made units. There are instructions available now for those units
that might give you some planing guidance.

There is a port for optional second Flarm antenna (not included in the
package) on the PowerFLARM designed to help increase the range and
that is intended for mounting externally (esp. if carbon) usually
underneath the glider. If there is a transponder antenna in that area
there will need to be some thougth given to mounting that antennas
away from each other, and cable run lengths etc.

I expect most people will install the brick and standard two antennas
in a temporary setup and see how this goes and eventually add the
external antenna if they want to. That's what I'm planning on doing
and am in no rush to drill holes in the outside of my baby. I do
expect to drill two hole in the glareshield on my ASH-26E for those
two antennas to poke through. Not sure how they will fix/locate
underneath yet, and the issue will be making it easy to remove and
resinstall the canopy.

We asked Urs from Flarm about some of this this at the PASCO safety
seminar where he spoke and I think the final exact details on antennas
with the brick is still being worked out.

Darryl

I gather new gliders now have transponder antennas in the fiberglass
tail, rather than ugly sticking out the bottom, along with radio. Is
it impossible to fish coax back to the tail and put some of these
antennas back there without cutting holes?

John Cochrane

If by tail you mean the vertical fin? My HP-24 and the Apis are all
carbon except for the rudder, I don't think splitting the rudder apart
to install an antenna has much appeal.

Brad