Old November 21st 05, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Gear Warning

"Mark Dickson" wrote in message

If you checked your airbrakes at the DI and prior to
take-off, and you have not been flying in icing conditions,
they will open when you want them to. I've never heard
of airbrakes failing in flight and if they did so what?

I have had only one spoiler deploy. I was glad I checked them early because
it gave me the opportunity to extend the downwind a bit to compensate.

But, you are right. This is very rare. A more justifiable reason to check
the spoiler/airbrake is to insure your hand is on the right control. Once
you hand is on the airbrake control, keep it there through the rest of the
landing. Yes, I know, you should LOOK at a control before placing a hand on
it but we all know of accidents/incidents where the wrong control was
selected.

Bill Daniels