Old January 21st 09, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob Kuykendall

Default Another AirBus-320 question

On Jan 21, 7:25*am, "pintlar" wrote:
I have seen reported that the AirBus-320 has a glide ratio of 1:15.
That was what our pilots told us the wings on Cessna 180-182 (L-19)'s glide
ratio was.
It does not seem consistent that a swept, thin airfoil, wing would have the
same glide ratio as the Cessna...

Some of the early smoothbore (straight turbojet) airliners such as 707
and DC-8 had best L/Ds up around 20:1, so I wouldn't be surprised at
15:1 for a high-bypass turbofan airliner, not at all. The sweep makes
it hard to hold laminar flow, but the thinness and high aspect ratio
are good things.

Thanks, Bob K.