Old September 20th 18, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default A few newbie questions about the sport

On Thursday, September 20, 2018 at 11:00:08 AM UTC-7, Paul T wrote:
At 13:31 20 September 2018, kirk.stant wrote:
On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 6:00:07 PM UTC-5, Paul T wrote:

Sorry can't afford transatlantic telephone calls - I asked a fairly

simpl=
=20
question, why can't you answer this on a public forum?

Assuming you are British - do a search of BGA's excellent magazine; a

few
y=
ears ago there was an article about a student who basically soloed in 5
fli=
ghts by using Condor to prepare.=20

I believe the French CNVV has developed a full-up Condor (w/cockpit

and
big=
screens) glider simulator for use by French glider clubs.

Our own gliding club (St Louis Soaring Association) in the US is in the
pro=
cess of building up a Condor sim with realistic flight controls and
multipl=
e big screens.

Any simulator is just a training tool (Condor is technically an Aircrew
Tra=
ining Device in the lingo of the flight simulation industry) and it's
effec=
tiveness is driven by how it is used. Since the cockpit of a glider is

not
=
the best classroom, used properly Condor can be a great help to the
learnin=
g process. Learn it in the sim, practice it in the glider.

Kirk
(been using sims for training for almost 50 years now...yikes!)

You ask a simple question on here and get slaughtered - I asked a
simple question of someone who uses this method as a business , what
is typically the time saved using this method-its it really such a
difficult
question to answer? Why can't htat be answered on a public forum -
some kind of big secret or something?

If you want to ask a simple question, might I suggest you do it without an accusatory tone. Writers including myself have given you plenty antidotal "evidence" of simulation training as a good learning tool. I was required by my insurance to attend Flight Safety for yearly simulation training in a complex aircraft I have flown. Could be Scott runs a small operation, catering to glider pilots, and has not funded a multi-part double blind study large enough for a statically valid result, to see if 1) Condor simulation reduces time to ticket for; a) ab initio student; b) for licensed power pilots transitioning; c) rusty returning pilots; d) currency…..

Simulation training has been around and proven since the Link trainer in the big one, that is WWII. Don't blame Scott or the newsgroup for calling you out on your behavior! For the most part we have a great group that are helpful to one another and many members are the most respected members of our sport internationally. If you truly wanted to know you would have taken Scott up on his offer to communication directly.